Do they have any idea why it happens and if it's likely to happen again?
Mostly it happens in people who have had previous operations or trauma, including c-sections and therefore have scar tissue. Mine must have been total bad luck as I had never had anything like that before. So they don't know why mine happened. Because of this they say it's less likely to happen again, but then I have had a lot of messing around in there because of it so there is likely to be plenty of scar tissue hanging around now, making it more likely
I have been told that sometimes it's just random chance that blood vessels will attach more firmly and grow bigger than they should, which is how it gets so stuck.
Originally Posted by littlecricket
I really hope it doesn't happen again and you get the bf relationship you wanted
I have never heard of it before and my logic says why don't they do a c-sec and remove the placenta rather than a hysterectomy?
If they did a c-section and it was stuck they would still be in the same position, they can't physically pull it out any better through c-section as it would still haemorrhage. Last time I had a manual removal and 3 D&Cs and it wouldn't budge, would have made no difference which way they were going in. This time I will be having a manual removal if it is stuck, but no more. We have discussed a c-section many times, my only reason for having one would be that if I ended up having to go to theatre for any reason anyway then they may as well have minimised the trauma for me and done a c-section in the first place, as last time a long time in theatre after 3 days of serious labour didn't put me in a very good position for dealing with a newborn. I was pretty out of it for about a week, and couldn't even get off my back and out of bed for 4 days.
I would love to feel better after the birth this time and be up to looking after a baby properly, I needed a lot of help last time which wasn't nice.
I wanted a natural third stage last time and it couldn't have gone more wrong. I made them wait as long as I could before they gave me the syntometrine, then it was 3 hours + before I went to theatre, so there was plenty of time for both nature and medicine to do something.
I think if I have accreta again, then having it actively managed will make no difference whatsoever. I don't want to just leave it as I feel it would be too similar to last time, and it just doesn't feel right to me.
As for breastfeeding, the placenta is going to be out or in, if it is well and truely stuck like last time, then I go for hysterectomy and breastfeeding will be a struggle but will still happen anyway. If it's out then all is well and good. I don't think a managed third stage could have anywhere near a big enough effect on breastfeeding compared with the overall placenta outcome. If that makes sense, not sure it does! I've told them I'm not actually leaving until I have evidence that every bit of placenta is out, and my milk has def come in, and I have the number of the local LLL lady who I am contacting this week, so I have no doubts that breastfeeding will be fine.
They are very concerned about haemorrhage, have blood in ready for me and I think it's one of their main issues. I imagine anything to reduce that risk is a good thing right now